Okanagan Crush Pad’ s Haywire Winery returns for the third annual release of Lunar New Year Red and White wines, this time in celebration of the Year of the Monkey.
The 2016 Lunar New Year Red ($19.90) and 2016 Lunar New Year White ($18.90) are available in limited-supply, with only 60 cases. This seasonal release is perfect for gifting and pairing with a Chinese dinner with friends and family.
- Was it always a limited edition of 60 cases per year? Why the number 60 (being of Asian descent, I can be very fanatic of numbers… why not 88?)
- No, it has not always been a limited edition and this year we made 60 cases. The amount of Lunar wines that we release each year changes to meet demand.
- We love the diversity of BC’s food and wine scene. Lunar New Year isn’t just a celebration for the Asian-community, so we wanted to be a part of it and share the festivity with others by creating a Lunar New Year wine. It’s a day to be celebrated by everyone!
- As it’s year of the monkey, what does 2016 entail for you and your family and business according to your animal sign?
- We accomplished lots with our vineyard in 2015, including becoming certified organic on our Switchback Vineyard. At our winery, we crafted our first gin, Vij’s Bolly Water, in celebration of the new opening of Vij’s Restaurant in Vancouver. For 2016, our dedicated team at Okanagan Crush Pad will continue to innovate, “sample” lots of wine, and have even more fun, so we can craft quality BC wines for everyone to enjoy.
- Every special occasion, I bring Hong Kong style bbq duck for family dinners. Do you or your family have an annual Asian tradition or cuisine you like to incorporate into your family holiday celebrations? If so, what would it be?
- It’s become an annual event that we host a Lunar New Year celebration at Okanagan Crush Pad in Summerland. This year’s celebration is on Saturday, February 6th from 7:30pm-11:00pm. Guests can enjoy a tasting of our limited-edition Lunar New Year red and white wines while grooving to the beats from DJ Shakes. A Lunar New Year celebration is never complete without Chinese food, so there will be dim sum nibbles as well. Space for the event is filling up quickly so reserve online with Okanagan Crush Pad. http://okanagancrushpad.com/upcoming-events/
- Our Lunar New Year celebration extends outside of the winery to Chinatown, Vancouver, where our family typically goes to watch the Lunar New Year parade, followed by a dim sum lunch.
Order online or via the winery, direct from Kristina Neilsen at 250-494-4445.
About Okanagan Crush Pad:
Okanagan Crush Pad, producer of Haywire and Narrative, has quickly built a reputation as a premium winery and has received unprecedented awards and accolades with chief winemaker Matt Dumayne at the helm. Christine Coletta and Steve Lornie built Okanagan Crush Pad in scenic Summerland, BC, on Switchback Organic Vineyard, a site that is home to roaming sheep, chickens and ducks. Dumayne crafts natural wines using state-of-the-art concrete tanks, native yeast and minimal additives. The wines reflect the region’s unique high mountain/northern desert setting noted for its intensely hot, short growing season with hallmark cool evenings. In their constant pursuit of innovation, the team added a line of wine-based spirits under the Narrative label in 2015. Visitors discover a guest center, built into the heart of the winery, offering a rare glance into the art of winemaking and a place where they can sample and purchased a wide range of wines and spirits.